Tasios G. Vakkas, DDS, MD
Meet Dr. Vakkas
Dr. Vakkas is both a licensed dentist and physician and holds board certification from the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. He graduated with honors from the Columbia University College of Dental Medicine, DDS. At Columbia he was honored with the Percy T. Philips Student Scholar academic award given to only two students per year. At the University of Maryland he continued his postdoctoral education and training. He received his MD after graduating from the School of Medicine. He went on to complete an internship in General Surgery. His Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery training was very rigorous and included operating at the renowned R. Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore.
Dr. Vakkas is actively involved in resident and student education and training. He is an academic surgeon at the Beth Israel Medical Center/Jacobi Medical Center/Albert Einstein School of Medicine residency training program in oral and maxillofacial surgery. At Jacobi Dr. Vakkas operates on dentofacial deformity patients performing orthognathic (corrective) jaw surgery. For almost ten years he held a position as Assistant Clinical Professor at Columbia University.
Dr. Vakkas lectures dental students and residents. He has given lectures to many regional dental societies. His clinical interests include implant surgery, extractions, orthognathic corrective jaw surgery, benign pathology, trauma, and reconstruction of the maxillofacial region.
Dr. Vakkas is a member of OKU, the National Dental Honor Society and has been selected by his peers as a “Top Dentist” in oral surgery in Westchester County for Westchester Magazine. He is happily married to Dr. Sonia Varlamos, a native of Westchester County and a periodontist who has her own office in Larchmont, NY. Drs. Vakkas and Varlamos love to spend time with their young daughters. He also enjoys reading, watching documentaries, excercising, and riding horses among other things. They live in Westchester.
- Columbia University School of Dental Medicine – D.D.S. with Honors
- University of Maryland School of Medicine – M.D.
- University of Maryland General Surgery Internship
- University of Maryland Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Academic Surgeon Beth Israel/Jacobi Medical Centers/Albert Einstein School of Medicine Residency
- Previous Assistant Clinical Professor Columbia University for almost ten years
- Board Certification by the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- Certification in Dental General Anesthesia by New York State
- Certification of Office Anesthesia by the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons and NY State Society of OMS
- Basic life support, Advanced cardiac life support, and Pediatric advanced life support
- OKU National Dental Honor Society
- Percy T. Phillips Student Scholar 1999 – 2000
- Top Dentist in oral surgery by Westchester Magazine, since 2009